Idly powder/ Milagai Podi is a quintessential condiment in every South Indian household. It is made in bulk quantity and relished on a daily basis.
The usual version of idly powder has black urad dal, chana dal, sesame seeds, red chillies, hing and curry leaves. But here, in order to incorporate a superfood in my daily menu, I have used Organic Raw Chia Seeds in place of sesame seeds. Chia Seeds are rich in Omega-3 & Omega-6 essential fatty acids, protein and dietary fiber and enhances the nutrient content of the dish greatly. The Milagai Podi can be prepared in bulk and stored in air-tight box for good about 2-3 months. Commonly, idly powder is mixed with sesame / til oil and consumed in the form of a paste as an accompaniment to tiffin varieties. Another interesting way is to smear the podi paste on idly or dosa. This is an ideal option for tiffin box or for packed travel food as the podi and oil coated tiffin stays fresh for a long time.
- Black urad dal – 1 cup, splitted
- Chana dal – ½ cup
- Raw chia seeds – ¼ cup
- Dry red chilies – 25 to 30 nos
- Asafoetida / Hing- 2 to 3 tsp
- Curry leaves- 2 to 6 twigs, torn into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp (optional)
- cooking oil – 1 to 2 tsp (Preferably sesame oil)
- Roast black urad dal, chana dal, dry red chilies and curry leaves one by one with little amount of oil till they are crisp and golden in colour.
- Chia seeds can be grounded raw (Grounded form of raw chia seeds helps in the optimal absorption of nutrients in our body).
- Bring the roasted ingredients to room temperature.
- Grind it into a coarse powder along with chia seeds, asafoetida, sugar and salt.
- Transfer it to a large bowl and mix well.
- Store it in an air-tight container to keep the flavours intact.
- Relish this podi with idly, dosa and upma varieties.
- Few interesting ways of using this podi…
- For preparing podi idly, make a paste of Chia seeds Idly powder with oil/ghee and smear it on both the sides of idly. Serve hot with curd.
- For onion podi dosa, sprinkle a tsp of Chia seeds Idly powder and chopped onion over the dosa on one side. Flip and toast both the sides till golden.
- To have it along with plain idly, dosa or upma, just mix the required amount of Chia seeds Idly powder with sesame oil/desi ghee and relish.