#Comfortfood #TraditionalSouthIndianFood #Idlypodi #Grandma’srecipe
Nellai Milagai Podi is an appetizing, flavourful and quintessential condiment in all the South Indian households and eateries as it goes well with idly, dosa and upma varieties. My version of this Milagai Podi is inherited from my Grandma’s recipe that is with the adaptation of Nellai Tamizhar-style Idly Podi.
How to make Nellai Milagai Podi | Idly Podi?
This recipe has good amount of sesame / til and it needs to be had with
sesame oil mixed in it. So, it’s heart-friendly when used regularly. Needless to mention the nutritious value added by urad and channa dals, curry leaves to this humble recipe!
Inclusion of black urad dal as core ingredient gives this recipe a distinctive colour and flavour than usual versions. This recipe can be prepared in bulk and stored in air-tight box. It helps to savour this delicious podi as and when required either in the form of a paste or smeared on idly or dosa. It is an ideal option for tiffin box or as a travel food.
- Black urad dhal – 1 cup, splitted
- Channa dal – ½ cup
- Sesame Seeds / Til – ¼ cup
- Dry Red Chilies – 25 to 30
- Asafoetida / Hing – 2 to 3 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 2 to 6 twigs, torn into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Sesame / Til Oil – 1 to 2 tsp
- Roast black urad dhal, channa dhal, sesame seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves one by one with little amount of oil till crisp and golden in colour.
- Bring it to room temperature and grind it into a coarse powder along with asafoetida, sugar and salt. You can grind it finely also as per your taste.
- Transfer it to a large bowl and mix well.
- Store it in an air-tight container to keep the flavours intact.
- It can be served as an accompaniment for idly, dosa and upma varieties.
- This recipe stays fresh for 2-3 months.
- If you don’t like to use sesame oil, use any
cooking oil or melted ghee.
- Either you can have this podi + til oil as accompaniment or smear the podi paste on Idly, dosa vareities.
For more such authentic recipes, plz checkout Thenga Paruppu Thogaiyal, Chia Seeds Idly Powder, Poondu Vengaya Vathakuzhambu, Puzhimilagai, Kambam Kanji with Madhura Kizhangu, Getti chutney.