#TraditionalSouthIndianRecipe #VratRecipe #EnergyDrink #HerbalDrink
A healthy and refreshing drink, ‘Paanagam’ is made as a part of neivedhyam during Sri Rama Navami and many other festivals. It is also served in South Indian weddings especially after the main function ‘Muhurtham’. Since it is rich in nutrition, it’s a best option to relish frequently in summers than having store-bought soft drinks and juices.
How to make Paanagam?
Paanagam is a simple recipe that calls for few easily available things like jaggery, imli, ginger, tulsi and edible camphor. All these ingredients are loaded with anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties that helps to boost our immunity, digestion and more.
This herbal drink can be frequently relished during vrat or fasting as it boosts our energy instantly. If serving in a get together or party, serve it cold or hot depending upon the weather.
- Tamarind / Imli – a small gooseberry-sized
- Jaggery – a large lemon-sized
- Dry Ginger / Saunth Powder – 1 tsp
- Elaichi Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tulsi – 2 0r 3 leaves, crushed
- Edible Camphor – a small pinch (optional)
- Add 2 cups of water to the soaked imli and extract imli water.
- Boil it for a minute or two along with jaggery.
- Remove from flame and add powdered dry ginger, tulsi, elaichi powder and edible camphor. Adjust water as per the taste.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- Instead of imli, we can use lemon juice also, but I have followed the method that family follows over generations.