#Sundal #MarinaBeachSundal #Healthy #QuickRecipe #FestivalRecipe
Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal popularly known as ‘Beach Sundal’, is a
scrumptious snack that takes me down the memory lane of relishing
this at Marina Beach, Chennai. ‘Thenga’ in Tamil means coconut, ‘Manga’ means Mango (here, raw mango) and ‘Pattani’ means dried peas.
How to make Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal?
Prepared with very few commonly-used ingredients, the sundal is flavourful with the slight hint of tanginess from raw mangoes. This recipe can be made during Navratri festival as bhog. It can also be served as a party appetizer or as an evening snack along with tea. And also, a good breakfast option if you are aiming to have nourishing food with less oil as your first meal.
- Dried yellow peas / Sukha Mattar – 1 cup
- Haldi – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Refined oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds Rai – 1/4 tsp
- Asofoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Curry Patha – 3 or 4 leaves, torn into pieces
For Masala Paste
- Coconut – 1 tbsp, grated
- Green chilly – 1, small-sized
- Ginger- 1/4 inch piece
- Curry Leaves – 4 or 5 leaves
- Raw Green Mango – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Cucumber – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Carrot -1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Coconut – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Wash and soak dry yellow peas in warm water for 1 hour or soak it overnight in normal water.
- Add haldi, salt and pressure cook them till 6-7 whistles. The peas should be cooked soft but firm.
- Once the pressure gets released, drain the
water and let it cool.
- Grind grated coconut, green chilly, ginger and curry leaves coarsely without adding water.
- In a kadai heat oil, add rai and let it splutter.
- Add hing, curry leaves and grounded coconut masala. Saute briefly for a minute.
- Add boiled dry yellow peas. Mix well, adjust the salt if required.
- Remove from flame. Let it cool for a minute.
- Garnish with finely chopped raw mango, cucumber, carrot and coconut. Serve hot.
- Take care not to overcook the dried peas as it may change the taste and texture of the recipe.
For more salad recipes, plz checkout Black Chick peas and Corn Salad with ACV Dressing, Gado Gado, Mixed Fruit Salad with Chia Seeds.
2 thoughts on “Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal”