#TraditionalSouthIndianRecipe #ComfortFood #QuickRecipe #Healthy
‘Thengai Paruppu Thogaiyal’, is one of the popular traditional South Indian recipes that can be made quickly. Thengai in Tamil means coconut, Paruppu means Dal, Thogaiyal is chutney. A versatile chutney that can be served with plain hot rice as well as with Idly, Dosa and other tiffin varieties.
How to make Thengai Paruppu Thogaiyal | Coconut Dal Chutney?
Simple thogaiyal with any rasam or sambhar is one of our comfort foods. Whenever we carve for such menu, Thengai Paruppu Thogaiyal is my go-to recipe. Reasons are…it’s healthy, delicious and very easy to prepare with few ingredients. The core ingredient Coconut is rich in good fats and has properties like anti-bacterial, anti-fungal that boosts our immune system when consumed regularly. Protein and potassium-rich Arhar dal on the other hand, enhances the taste and health quotient of this thogaiyal.
Thogaiyal and plain hot rice with a dollop of ghee / sesame oil, pairs well with Vendhaya Kuzhambu or Pepper Jeera Rasam or simply with fried papad. A divine combination!
- Coconut -1 cup, grated
- Thuvar / Arhar dal – 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 2 or 3 (as per taste)
- Curry Leaves – few twigs
- Salt – to taste
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp (preferably coconut oil)
- In a kadai, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and roast arhar dal, red chillies, hing and curry leaves. Roast till the dal turns golden in colour.
- Transfer it to a plate. Let it cool. Grind it along with grated coconut, salt into a fine paste adding very little amount of water.
- Serve it with hot plain rice with a dollop of ghee / sesame oil.
- If serving with tiffin varieties, dilute the thogaiyal little bit. Give tadka with rai, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Instead of arhar dal, we can use moong dal and yellow channa dal too.
For more delicious chutney recipes, plz check out Green Garlic Coriander Chutney, Chia Seeds Chutney, Puzhimilagai, Getti chutney.