#TraditionalSouthIndianRecipe #ComfortFood #QuickRecipe #Healthy
‘Thengai Paruppu Thogaiyal’, is one of the popular traditional South Indian recipes that can be made quickly. Thengai in Tamil means coconut, Paruppu means Dal, Thogaiyal is chutney. A versatile chutney that can be served with plain hot rice as well as with Idly, Dosa and other tiffin varieties.
How to make Thengai Paruppu Thogaiyal | Coconut Dal Chutney?
Simple thogaiyal with any rasam or sambhar is one of our comfort foods. Whenever we carve for such menu, Thengai Paruppu Thogaiyal is my go-to recipe. Reasons are…it’s healthy, delicious and very easy to prepare with few ingredients. The core ingredient Coconut is rich in good fats and has properties like anti-bacterial, anti-fungal that boosts our immune system when consumed regularly. Protein and potassium-rich Arhar dal on the other hand, enhances the taste and health quotient of this thogaiyal.
Thogaiyal and plain hot rice with a dollop of ghee / sesame oil, pairs well with Vendhaya Kuzhambu or Pepper Jeera Rasam or simply with fried papad. A divine combination!
- Coconut -1 cup, grated
- Thuvar / Arhar dal – 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 2 or 3 (as per taste)
- Curry Leaves – few twigs
- Salt – to taste
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp (preferably coconut oil)
- In a kadai, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and roast arhar dal, red chillies, hing and curry leaves. Roast till the dal turns golden in colour.
- Transfer it to a plate. Let it cool. Grind it along with grated coconut, salt into a fine paste adding very little amount of water.
- Serve it with hot plain rice with a dollop of ghee / sesame oil.
- If serving with tiffin varieties, dilute the thogaiyal little bit. Give tadka with rai, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Instead of arhar dal, we can use moong dal and yellow channa dal too.