Loaded with veggies, these whole wheat muffins are soft, fluffy and tummy filling till the next meal. A great option for breakfast, as tea-time snack or just-like-that snack for kids!
How to make Savoury Breakfast Muffins?
This is an uncomplicated recipe that can be made in a jiffy once the veggies are chopped. It can be baked in oven, pressure cooker or in kadai. I have tried all three methods and it turned out perfectly well with soft, pillowy inside and crispy outside with beautiful cracks.
Here’s the recipe in a simple format.. The given recipe yields 18 muffins of medium size as shown in the pics.
Seasonal Veggies of your choice – 3 cups
* I have used 2 cups of veggies (carrot, cabbage, capsicum, cauliflower, beans, green peas) and 1 cup of green leafy veggies ( spinach ½ cup, methi leaves ¼ cup, coriander leaves ¼ cup)
Whole Wheat Flour – 2 cups
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – ½ tsp
Salt – ¾ tsp
Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
Red Chilly Flakes – ½ tsp (as per your taste)
Oregano/Mixed Herbs – 1 tsp
Garlic Powder/Chopped Garlic – ½ tsp (optional)
Grated Cheese – ¼ cup (I have used Amul processed cheese)
Nuts/Seeds of your choice – 2 tbsp
(I have used sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
Curd – 1 cup (usual one, Not hung curd or yogurt)
Olive Oil – ½ cup
Grated Cheese – 2 tbsp
Nuts/Seeds – ¼ cup
Finely chop the veggies and green leaves. Grate the cheese and keep it aside.
In a large bowl add the given dry ingredients except cheese. Give a good mix. Now add grated cheese. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Grease/line the muffin tray if not using silicon mould.
- In a separate bowl, add the given wet ingredients. Using a hand whisker, blend till olive oil mixes well with curd.
- Preheat oven to 180C for 10 mins
- Add oil+curd mixture and chopped veggies to the dry ingredient bowl. Add ¾ to 1 cup of water gradually.
- Mix well using a spatula till no dry flour left in the bowl. (Batter should be thick and of spoon-able consistency)
- Spoon the batter into the muffin moulds. Tap it twice.
- Garnish with grated cheese and nuts.
- Bake at 180C for 15-20 mins.
- Check with toothpick for the doneness. Let it rest for 15 mins and serve.
- The baking time and temperature varies from oven to oven. So, adjust them accordingly.
- The amount of water (in step 4) varies as per the quality of wheat flour. Add gradually till you get the right consistency.
- If making for breakfast at morning hurry-burry time, you can prepare step 1, step2 on the previous day and store in fridge. Next day morning step 3 and step 4 can be done to save time.