Paneer Stuffed Wheat Kulcha with Delhi Street Style Chole and Gulkhand Lassi is a fabulous for brunch or lunch on a fun-filled weekend. Combined with three popular punjabi dishes, this combo is super delicious and wholesome meal by itself!Continue reading Paneer Stuffed Wheat Kulcha with Delhi Street Style Chole and Gulkhand Lassi
#TraditionalSouthIndianCondiment #Authentic #BasicRecipe
This is a basic recipe for preparing tangy, spicy and scrumptious South Indian delicacy ‘Puliyotharai Rice’ that has a long shelf life.
How to make Puliyotharai Gojju | Pulikaachal?
Though there are many versions of this delectable recipe that belong to various parts of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra, I always have followed the one which is inherited from my family, especially from my father (yes! he is so fond of trying out authentic dishes with great flair).
This version has a fine blend of Andhra style and Iyengar style of making puliyotharai. You can make this recipe in large quantity and store to relish puliyotharai as and when required. It is an ideal option for tiffin box or as a travel food.
- Tamarind / Imli – a small orange-sized, appr 150g
- Sesame / Til – 1/3 cup
- Turmeric powder / Haldi – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery / Gud – a small-lemon sized
- Salt to taste
- Desi ghee – 1 tbsp
- Sesame / Til Oil – 3/4 cup
- Mustard Seeds / Rai – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Channa Dal – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek / Methi Seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Red Chilly – 6 or 8 nos
- Groundnut – a handful, roasted and peeled
- Sesame Seeds / Til – 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 2 twigs, torn into pieces
- Asafoetida / Hing- 1 1/2 tsp
For Puliyotharai Masala
- Red Chilly – 10 nos
- Urad Dal – 2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek / Methi Seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Coriander / Dhania Seeds – 3 tbsp
- Soak imli in a cup of warm water for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, dry roast sesame or til (black or white) and coarsely powder it. Keep it separately.
- Dry roast one by one the ingredients given for puliyotharai masala and finely powder it.
- Extract the thick juice from the soaked imli.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel / kadai, heat til oil and add rai.
- When it splutters, add the remaining ingredients given for tadka (please follow the same order mentioned above) and sauté till the dals and groundnuts turn golden in colour.
- Add imli water, haldi and give a boil.
- Add powdered puliyotharai masala, salt, jaggery, half the amount of powdered til and boil till the raw flavour of imli lessens.
- Keep stirring the gravy periodically till it thickens and forms a thick paste like consistency.
- Add the remaining til powder and a tbsp of desi ghee, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Let it cool and store it in a clean and dry container.
- This gojju stays good for at least 2 weeks in normal temperature and almost 2-3 months when refrigerated.
- For making puliyotharai rice, mix 2 tbsp of puliyotharai gojju with a cup of steamed rice (increase or decrease the amount of paste as per taste) and serve with papad and curd.
#Comfortfood #TraditionalSouthIndianFood #Idlypodi #Grandma’srecipe
Nellai Milagai Podi is an appetizing, flavourful and quintessential condiment in all the South Indian households and eateries as it goes well with idly, dosa and upma varieties. My version of this Milagai Podi is inherited from my Grandma’s recipe that is with the adaptation of Nellai Tamizhar-style Idly Podi.
How to make Nellai Milagai Podi | Idly Podi?
This recipe has good amount of sesame / til and it needs to be had with
sesame oil mixed in it. So, it’s heart-friendly when used regularly. Needless to mention the nutritious value added by urad and channa dals, curry leaves to this humble recipe!
Inclusion of black urad dal as core ingredient gives this recipe a distinctive colour and flavour than usual versions. This recipe can be prepared in bulk and stored in air-tight box. It helps to savour this delicious podi as and when required either in the form of a paste or smeared on idly or dosa. It is an ideal option for tiffin box or as a travel food.
- Black urad dhal – 1 cup, splitted
- Channa dal – ½ cup
- Sesame Seeds / Til – ¼ cup
- Dry Red Chilies – 25 to 30
- Asafoetida / Hing – 2 to 3 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 2 to 6 twigs, torn into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Sesame / Til Oil – 1 to 2 tsp
- Roast black urad dhal, channa dhal, sesame seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves one by one with little amount of oil till crisp and golden in colour.
- Bring it to room temperature and grind it into a coarse powder along with asafoetida, sugar and salt. You can grind it finely also as per your taste.
- Transfer it to a large bowl and mix well.
- Store it in an air-tight container to keep the flavours intact.
- It can be served as an accompaniment for idly, dosa and upma varieties.
- This recipe stays fresh for 2-3 months.
- If you don’t like to use sesame oil, use any
cooking oil or melted ghee.
- Either you can have this podi + til oil as accompaniment or smear the podi paste on Idly, dosa vareities.
‘Chia Seeds Chutney’, a simple but delicious recipe with the goodness of Organic Raw Chia Seeds that are rich in Omega-3 & Omega-6 essential fatty acids, protein and dietary fiber.
How to Make Chia Seeds Chutney?
The amazing flavours of hing, urad dal and curry leaves along with Chia Seeds make this recipe appetizing. The texture of this chutney is slightly glutinous when grounded with water. To avoid the stickiness, add a few tbsp of grated coconut while grinding. It can be served with plain hot rice or as an accompaniment to idly or dosa or upma varieties.
- LYVA’s Raw Chia Seeds – 1/4 cup
- Urad dal- 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 1 or 2, deseeded and broken into pieces
- Curry Leaves -1/4 cup, torn into pieces
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp (preferably coconut oil)
- In a kadai, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and roast urad dal, red chillies, hing and curry leaves till the dal turns golden in colour.
- Transfer to a plate and let them cool.
- Grind the roasted ingredients along with raw chia seeds and salt into a fine paste adding very little amount of water.
- Serve it with hot plain rice or idly or dosa or upma varieties.
- It stays fresh for about a week when refrigerated.
- This chutney tastes awesome when mixed with hot plain rice and a tsp of desi ghee / til oil. Roasted papad and any tangy sambar are the best accompaniment to this rice.
- To Prepare dry Chia Seeds Chutney, you can grind it without water. It stays fresh for several more days at room temperature than the usual version.
P.S – Product Review of Lyva’s Raw Chia Seeds for www.goindiaorganic.com
My feedback for Lyva Naturally Organic Raw Chia Seeds
1. Lyva’s Organic Raw Chia Seeds, a plant-based superfood is rich in Omega-3 & Omega-6 essential fatty acids, protein and dietary fiber. This naturally gluten-free chia seeds has antioxidant properties also.
2. Colour and Texture: Lyva’s Chia Seeds are tiny in size, similar to basil seeds. When soaked in wet ingredients, it swells up and has a gel-like texture. It looks black and white in colour.
3. Taste and flavour: Chia seeds are well-known for their versatility that makes us to incorporate them in our daily food easily. It tastes dry, crunchy and nutty just like poppy or sesame seeds. When soaked in liquid, it tastes soft and sweet. It has a subtle nutty flavour that makes the dish more interesting.
4. Packaging and Shelf Life: These high-quality Chia seeds are pesticides-free and dirt-free. They are neatly packed in a zip lock pack that retains the freshness of the product intact. The nutrition information and suggestions for use mentioned on the pack helps the users to know its benefits well. As per the expiry date mentioned on the pack, it has a shelf life of 2 years. So, the product can be refrigerated and used as and when required.
5. Health benefits: It is highly recommended to include Chia seeds in our daily food as it helps to boost energy, reduce weight, reduce inflammation and high cholesterol etc.
6. Culinary Uses: Lyva Organic Raw Chia Seeds can be used in raw or soaked or grounded form in the dishes. They can be included in salads, soups, smoothies, juices, curries, chutneys, cakes or desserts and more.
7. Daily consumption of about a tablespoon of Lyva Organic Raw Chia Seeds in our food helps us to lead a healthy life.