An instant method for preparing a mouth-watering, luscious raw mango pickle…Famously known as Keethu Manga Urugai down South, keethu means cut, manga means mango, urugai means pickle…one of the easiest pickles that can be made in a jiffy with very few ingredients available in our pantry.
How to make Instant Raw Mango Pickle?
This cut mango pickle is omnipresent in festival spreads and wedding menus…and in summer, when green mangoes are available in plenty every South Indian household likes to prepare this frequently and relish it with almost every meal.
Bursting with flavours, enticing with tangy and spicy taste, this pickle goes well with curd rice, dosa varieties, upma and pongal/khichadi varieties. It stays good for 2-3 days at room temperature and for about a week or 10 days when refrigerated.
Instant Raw Mango Pickle/ Keethu Manga Urugai
- 2 medium sized Raw Mangoes raw and firm
- ¼ cup Salt
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi
- 2 tbsp Red Chilly Powder
- ¾ tsp Fenugreek / Methi Seeds roasted and powdered
- ¼ cup Sesame / Til Oil
- ½ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- Wash and pat dry the raw mangoes. Cut them into thin pieces along with the skin.
- Place the mangoes pieces in a bowl. Add salt, haldi, chilly powder and methi seeds powder.
- In a small kadai, heat oil and add rai. When it splutters, add hing.
- When the hing emits nice flavour, switch off the flame.
- Pour the tadka over the mangoes and mix well.
- Yummy raw mango pickle is ready to serve.
- If you must store the pickle for later use, store it in a dry, air-tight container.
- Increase or decrease the amount of chilly powder as per your taste.
- If you don’t have roasted and powdered methi seeds powder, dry roast and powder/pound them coarsely.